Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

Sleep, is it really necessary?



Yes, it's very necessary! And If you read the name of my blog, you can probably tell I don't get enough of it. I'm sure you have had periods of insomnia as well. A lot of people have a sleep-wake cycle that is longer then 24 hours. That means that if you have a set hour to go to sleep, you are going to have a whole lot of trouble falling back asleep. Sleep is linked with Bipolar Disorder, Depression, and Diabetes, it is also linked with a High IQ.
Recently, scientists discovered a quirky side effect to having a high IQ: You tend to stay up until later hours and get up later in the morning. That's right -- the more intelligent are also much more likely to be night owls
What if I told you there were ways to get around requiring all 8 hours of sleep? Cause it is very possible. One stage of our sleep that we benefit the most from is REM (Rapid eye movement). The thing about the normal 8 hour sleep cycle is that only 1-2 hours are spent in REM. This is where Polyphasic sleep comes in. This is the practice of sleeping multiple times a day.

The Siesta - One 20 minute nap, 6 hours core sleep                                        6.3 total hours
The Everyman 2-nap - Two 20 minute naps, 4.5 hours core sleep                5.2 total hours
The Everyman 3-nap - Three 20 minute naps, 3 hours core sleep                4 total hours
The Everyman 4-nap - Four or five 20 minute naps, 1.5 hours core sleep   2.8 total hours
The Uberman - Six 20 minute naps                                                                       2 total hours

One method to actually falling asleep quickly is to use Paradoxical Intention.
"Paradoxical Intention" is a method to fall asleep more quickly. The trick: try as hard as you can to stay awake with your eyes closed laying in your bed. (it really works!)
Sources: http://www.dustincurtis.com/sleep.htmlhttp://www.cracked.com/article_19174_5-unexpected-downsides-high-intelligence.htmlhttp://ffctn.com/zeo

10 comments:

LOL I love your blog ;D we all have a little insonia somedays!

I have the weirdest dreams when I am half asleep. My thoughts are out of body almost.

Yeah, I believed its necessary to sleep. its kinda griping my chest when I don't sleep regularly

Interesting read :) I knew quite a bit of it already but some of it is new, thanks!

haha. for me it's definitely necessary or I would die!!!

Well i'm a night owl, that must mean i'm inteligent. =P

I hate going to sleep, But i love sleeping once i am asleep.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More